Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Dresser revamp


This is a project I've been waiting to do since December. At the time we were living in an apartment and there just wasn't enough room.

I'm a pretty lucky wife. My husband enjoys projects so he helped (maybe I should rephrase that to, I helped him) with this project.

We were so excited to start this project we didn't get a true before picture with the drawers intact.

Sanding wasn't getting the job done so we used a paint stripper to remove the finish on the top only.


Then smoothed it out by sanding.

 
One coat of Minwax Dark Walnut stain was applied


Then 3-4 coats of a clear finish Minwax Polyurethane with a light sanding between coats.
We used  400 and 600 grit sandpaper on this part.

The drawers we started with a coat of primer and added several coats of Rustoleum Heritage White.


And this is the final product. I could not a happier with the results.  This dresser was always on okay piece of furniture but now its stunning. Our two year old son keeps telling us how pretty it is.


The hardware is original to the piece and I love the way the brushed nickle center gives it a pop.



~Melanie

3 comments:

  1. That dresser is stunning, WOW! I agree 110% with your son :o)
    Angex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I love it! Ya'll did a great job refinishing it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have just downloaded iStripper, so I can have the best virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete